Housing Systems: Combating poverty and sustaining tenancies.
Working out how much someone needs - Elements/Needs

Standard allowance

Every Universal Credit calculation includes a Standard Allowance - the rate depending on whether single or couple, over or under 25.


Elements can be given for the first and second dependent child / young person - and sometimes the third plus child / young person.

Disabled Child

A parent/guardian of a child on DLA or PIP will have a Disabled Child Element in their UC - at one of two rates.

Limited Capability for Work

A claimant who has been found to have a limited capability for work may be entitled to an element included in their UC calculation to reflect this.


A claimant who rents, and/or has service charges can have a Housing Cost Element included in their award.


Some people who care for disabled adults or children can have a Carers Element in their UC award calculation.

Child Care

Find out who qualifies for help with childcare costs, and how much.

Our Calculator

Our Universal Credit calculator is quick and easy to use.