Housing Systems: Combating poverty and sustaining tenancies.
Housing Benefit: Rent Issues
To be eligible for Housing Benefit the claimant must be liable for payments on the home where they live.

This raises questions around:

  • What type of payments are eligible - note that it's not just traditional 'rent';
  • Liability - some people can be treated as liable even if they're not the one on the tenancy agreement; and
  • Occupation - some people can be treated as occupying their home whilst they are away - and some can be treated as ocupying two homes

Click on the links below for further information.

NOTE: Many people are not able to make a new claim Housing Benefit and need to make a claim for Universal Credit instead - click here for more details.
Equally some are told they have to claim UC when they don't - click here.

Supported Housing

How living in supported housing affects HB entitlement.

Shared Owners

How HB works for those who part own/part rent.


Who should be the claimant, and what happens when they they separate

Liable for Rent

Who is liable and who can be treated as liable - and so claim HB.


How does an absence from the home affect HB?

Two Homes

When can HB be paid on two properties?
A particular issue around moving home. 

Contrived Tenancy

When HB will not pay, even though the tenant is liable for the rent.

Rent Restrictions

When the HB Office can restrict a rent and what can you do.

Standard Letters

Standard Letters to help you resolve HB problems.